Thursday, February 21, 2008

Family-style at Walzwerk


For Kathryn's birthday, we went to the Tactile Dome (fun, but also scarier than I remember from my visits as a wee lass), and then to the East German restaurant Walzwerk. If you've got 10 or more people, you can preorder a family-style dinner that provides a ridiculous amount of food (not a true cultural experience, I suspect). Bratwurst, Sauerkraut, and braised red cabbage aren't really my thing, so I've always assumed that I just don't really like German food, but getting to try so many things in one sitting meant I actually found stuff I liked, and would eat again.

Kathryn is holding one of two giant plates of delicious and heart-attack-inducing cheese spätzle that came along with all the other salads, appetizers, and main courses that you get for a rather reasonable $20 a person. Other newly discovered favorites include Thüringer Salad, Matjes herring in sour cream with apples, onions and pickles, and a particularly good rendition of potato pancakes with chivey sour cream.

That's the second time I've been to Walzwerk, and again because I came as part of a larger group, we had to sit in the cold, linoleum-tiled, folding-chair-and-metal-tables back room, instead of the cozy and lively front. So family-style is sort of a trade off. Yes, you get more food choices, but the ambiance is maybe a little too authentic.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: